The Contingency Plan

Friday, May 07, 2004

Closing Borders

Sophie came past tonight but I wasn't home so she left a package and a note with my neighbour:

Hiya Umi,
Hope you're well.
Thank you for allowing me to borrow the clothes in the bag, you are very generous.
Your belated prezzie is here too. I hope you like the book... if you don't, the receipt's in it to exchange - it's a traveling book that I thought you'd love.
This feels all so bizarre Umi... do you get the feeling you've been here before? I certainly do. And there's just so much stuff here between you and I? Past life perhaps. I don't know...
I am also sorry for the pain and sorrow caused. It has been extremely hard and painful for me since our last conversation. So much sadness about it all. Just wanted to let you know.
Although you have seen only my actions that appear heartless, I really do wish you lots of good things in your life and may your dreams come true and your love fly.
Love, Sophie


So many things come to mind after reading that note. My neighbour said she was crying while writing it, and part of me thinks that I should bad for her, but I don't as I think it's all self induced.

Did I mention she's breaking up our friendship because I don't talk about spiritual things and 'tend to my soul' as much as she thinks I should? Don't get me wrong, I certainly have a deeper side, but don't feel the need to discuss it in every single conversation we have. I want and need the light and laughter too.

I guess I'm feeling pretty ripped off more than anything. I'm the only friend that has stuck by her through her various obsessions and fascinations - from Anthony Robbins to a 'philosophy' cult to her latest guru and through some less than stella moves as well - from stealing a former boyfriend of mine to bailing out on our business when things started to get a little tough, and this is why this ground seems familiar. We've definitely been here before.

Anyhow, although we had a lot of good moments and I miss her and feel lonely at times, I'm tired of complicated and hurtful relationships so I don't think I'm going to pursue reconciliation. This has happened far too many times and I'd be a fool to think otherwise - don't you think?
posted by kazumi at 10:46 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment