The Contingency Plan

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Love me, love me

I recently read an article about a book, worldwide Satchi & Satchi chief, Kevin Roberts released called "Lovemarks. The Future Beyond Brands".

According to the article, Roberts believes consumers want to be entertained, inspired and feel ownership in brands. Nothing new here, sounding ok so far.

But further to this, brands now need to connect with people on an emotional level to achieve cut through and if they don't, they'll loose the customer and subsequent sales. Hm. This is starting to sound questionable.

Working in the PR industry, I understand the need for companies to break through thousands of media messages to communicate a message, yet reading this, I feel ripped off about the whole 'lovemarks' theory.

Roberts may be correct, perhaps this is the only thing left to sell as we've developed immunity to current methods, but I still don't want advertisers (and people like me) selling love and emotions, and question whether I want a false and shallow 'relationship' with a company because they want me to purchase their goods. But perhaps this is nothing new, we've been selling sex for so long that love is the next natural step.

Anyhow, I realise all of my opinions are fickle as I haven't read the book, so this is my mission. I shall read the book and report back... more on this later, though I welcome anyone's thoughts in the meantime...
posted by kazumi at 1:35 pm