The Contingency Plan

Sunday, June 20, 2004

$130... Justified

As I mentioned in my last post, I took Natasha to the Justin Timberlake concert on Thursday night for her birthday, thus placing me in the running for 'Sister of the Year'.

The concert was a treat, taking me back to classic moments in my teens.

Not surprisingly, JT is a very capable performer. Talented, fun and easy going, he reached all the high Michael Jackson notes and was entertaining enough to watch without the need for back up dancers, etc. He did the keyboard thing and then got all Madonna and acoustic on our asses, but managed to pull it off impressively enough. He also did a bit of dancing and beat boxing, which was cool.

But what made the ridiculously high ticket price worth it ($130 each as it was an intimate concert of 'only' 5,000 people), was all the young, crazy and obsessive girls there. The average age was between 12 and 15. I did the whole elbow my way down to the front-ish thing and since I was one of the oldest there, no one messed with me.

I was also amazed to realise that I could see across the whole crowd perfectly because they were all so young! Despite wearing flat, comfortable shoes, I was one of the tallest people there.

Here are some of my favourite moments:

* Complimenting the large groups of girls who had made their own t-shirts and came dressed identically (even the same hair styles). 'Mrs Timberlake' and 'he had me naked by the end of the song' were some beauties

* Seeing Cameron Diaz by the side of the stage

* I didn't think it would happen, but yes, I saw a crier, who shed many a tear during one of JT's sappy love songs while mouthing "I love you Justin". A close second was a guy next to me who was singing along, swaying, with his eyes closed and an intense expression on his face. And yes. His hands were clenched

* Making friends with some girls who'd been there since 11am to get a place near the front of the stage. They waited for over eight hours to get in. The venue was small so there was a lot of competition. Most of them ended up fainting during the concert and had to be carried out

* Picking up on some of JT's lyrics like "You're out of this world but you're not green, You'll never know just what you mean... To meeee" and "Let's fly away to Sweden, To the Garden of Eden"

* And last but definitely not least, the crazy younguns went MAD when JT took off his jacket (still wearing a tshirt) and started screaming "Take it off! Take it off!" I was pleasantly horrified. JT and the band were a bit shocked, he then laughed and said, "Firstly, you'll need to pay waaaay more as I ain't that cheap and secondly, I ain't Christina Aguleria". She girls/auditorium did it a second time and he teased them by quickly flashing his stomach and my ears were in pain from the screams.

Gold Jerry, pure gold.
posted by kazumi at 3:25 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment