The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The Picture Frame

I have the day off work today. The powers there know about the baby and offered me some time to come to grips with everything and put in it perspective a little more.

I wanted to tell management about my pregnancy as soon as possible as we don't have a lot of time to plan our next steps. Although I was a little concerned about what their reaction would be like, their comfort and support has been encouraging and empowering.

My Managing Director found out yesterday and instantly took me out for coffee. She said she can't comprehend the shock I must be in and wanted to make sure I was ok. We talked for over an hour and she assured me a full time job is there for me whenever I'm ready to come back. We made an informal company announcement in the afternoon and the office was filled with excitement, hugs, claps, shock and screams. Just imagine 20 ecstatic women crowding around you and all you can see is big smiles and laughter.

So today I'm at home and Lucas has gone to buy us some lunch. He's had the last two days off work and the time alone has provided a lot of clarity. He spoke with a good friend and his mother yesterday and I think they helped him decide what he wants to do.

His good friend, Zyby, is an artist who has two children and they had a long discussion about the situation. Lucas said it helped him realise his perspective on this was all wrong. The two of them then went shopping for a car and it looks like we're buying an Audi in the next four weeks. Lucas was adamant about having a nice, reliable car for us to drive the baby around in. That was touching.

I also realised he had no time to digest and move beyond his initial fear and shock after the infamous ultrasound. He had to go straight to work that night, came home after 12 hours to sleep, then returned for a Friday night 12 hour shift, came home and we spent the weekend entertaining his aunt and uncle who were visiting from Canada.

So now I think he's catching onto everyone's excitement. His mom called us again today and it made me happy to hear him joke about names and to hear how thrilled they all are.

Although things have improved, I know they're not over. I think we'll both freak out every now and then, but at least I know that we're trying to frame things together to make this work out.



posted by kazumi at 10:03 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment