The Contingency Plan

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Face off

I still feel like I'm settling into this blog, even though it's been a few months.

I generally don't concern myself with the opinions of others, but for some reason your thoughts are a consideration. The online blogging world can remind me of high school where people have cliques - I know, you like me even more with that statement - and that also bothers me as it shouldn't be a consideration.

While reading Hot Toddy's humorous blog tonight (http://hot-toddy.blogspot.com/), I started thinking that perhaps this blog is missing a face and feels two-dimensional, but if you're reading this and think it's something else, tell me.....

I'm often told my face looks familiar. I don't know whether it's because I was pretty damn social in my younger years... nevertheless, the only famous people I've been compared to are obscure - the French queen from Braveheart, Isabella 2 from a Brad Pitt movie I can't remember the name of, and of course, Chanel from Australian Idol (yes, that's the one I pride myself on the most). As you can see, there's no correlation between the looks of any of these women, which means people are full of shit.

I smile a lot and have a big smile with big teeth. My teeth are pretty damn strong too. So strong they've chipped two of Lucas' teeth - what more could you ask for than teeth so strong they can eat other teeth? My lips are small but full and can obviously stretch to fit my big smile and big teeth.

I make a lot of eye contact with the people I speak with. My eyes are light brown, almond shaped and my only feature that looks Asian. I sometimes get annoyed when people think that I'm fully Asian. I don't know whether it's because I don't really fit into that culture or whether it's because Australia wasn't as multicultural when I was growing up so I always felt out of place, was occasionally teased and all the boys preferred girls with pretty blonde hair and blue eyes so it wasn't until I started university that I started to embrace my looks.

My nose is pretty average. If Wolfie's a girl I hope she gets my nose as Lucas has a pretty prominent one and I think guys get away with that more than girls can.

I have high cheekbones that stand out more when I'm my normal slimmer self. It's hard to find glasses that don't look ridiculous on me because of them. I think my cheeks are Lucas' favourite part of my face as he's forever kissing, squeezing and biting them - I pretend to be able to handle this only in moderate doses, but I actually love the affection.

If I could change one thing about my face it would be my skin. I suffered from acne when I was a late teen, which left some scaring. I dream of having flawless skin and have looked into cosmetic surgery a couple of times but have never been compelled enough. The need is nothing drastic, but a thought that always lingers. Cutting my hair short when I was around 19 was a big challenge as it left my skin exposed for people to scrutinize and gave me nothing to hide behind, which is why I had to do it.

I don't know how old my face looks. I still get asked for ID when I go out, so I guess things aren't that bad but when I look into the mirror I now see a tired person with a little sparkle left. Perhaps I'll wear some make up tomorrow.
posted by kazumi at 9:37 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment