The Contingency Plan

Friday, November 26, 2004

The Letter

So here it is for your reading pleasure:
Dear Kazumi + Lucas,
Congratulations on your new baby!
I hope your are both extremely well and excited about the newest addition to your lives.
Umi, I hope the pregnancy was o.k. for you + the birth that sometime's can be painful was o.k too.
I guess I just wanted to send some warm wishes from an old friend, & even though things worked out the way they did, you both still have a place in my heart. I often wonder what happened. I guess a parting of ways like you always used to talk about Umi: your philosophy of friendship: a day: a season: a lifetime.
Sometimes I'd like to say 'g'day dear old friend' & for it to be simple, but I am afraid too much has happened or changed or ....... It's bizarre.
So I thought a little note to say 'CONGRATS' wouldn't be too hard for you
to take.
I sincerely hope this note finds you well & doesn't cause any negativity or ill feelings to arise.
May the friendship we shared provide sweet memories for us both this lifetime & may our hearts be filled with love + gratitude for the times we shared.
With love, honour, respect of you....
Your old friend,
Sophie
xxxooo

I feel a mixture of emotions whenever I read over that note. This is how it usually plays out:

First reaction:
Immense irritation. She's an idiot. Giving birth to a baby is always and never just "sometime's" painful.
I know Soph and whenever she doesn't want to deal with someone she writes them a letter.
I never should've opened the letter. I should've just sent it back. Perhaps I'll write back, but then I'll be tempted to belittle and highlight all her faults and I don't want to do that (although part of me would love to).
I hate how she can still affect me because the last phase of our friendship was a painful waste of time.
She's a dick for trying to act like the bigger person.
Plus who signs off a letter 'with love, honour and respect of you...'? It's just so wanky. You shouldn't need to say those things. I don't understand how she's loving, honouring or respecting me.

Second reaction:
I should really try and be more mature about this and not react so badly. I don't think I'll contact her in any way.

Summary:
I guess Lucas summed her up today when he said, 'Yes we all know she means well but she's too stupid to mean well and do well'.

I'm relieved we're no longer friends.
posted by kazumi at 6:45 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment