The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A Sign of Future Times?

The Asian side of my family is obsessed with spiritual mediums and fortune tellers (the Scottish side prefer alcohol). They all visit them and despite my scepticism, the woman my Aunt Jackie sees is very perceptive.

For example, Mum was in Taiwan visiting my Aunt around the time I discovered I was pregnant. Mum tagged along with Aunt Jackie to visit the woman (let's call her Glenda) and she told Mum some juicy information about me - Mum knew I was pregnant and that I'd keep the baby before I did. This woman has predicted the miscarriage of my cousin's baby, the marriage of an aunt and the unfaithfulness of another uncle so she's not someone I want to mess with.

Anyhow, besides information about the baby, Glenda also told Mum information about my relationship with Lucas. According to Glenda we're going to make great parents, will get married when we're around 26 or 27 and Lucas will cheat on me when we're around 35 with a co-worker. Yes, and Mum had no problem telling me the last part - like what the f#$%?!

I was happy to hear the other bits of information, but don't quite know what to do about the cheating bit. Sure, it's 10 years away but I often find myself wondering how I can avoid the event taking place and whether it will actually happen. And I find myself occassionally paranoid because of it.

So instead of keeping this to myself, I of course told Lucas who thinks it's a load of bollocks (of course he would). Apparently "I have it goin on and shouldn't worry about a thing".

Anyhow, although I think there's room for this not to take place, I'm really wary of spiritual things - I'd rather not mess with what I don't know.

And then I think Wolfie will be 10 by then. I wonder whether we'll still be in Oz or overseas, whather we'll have more children, whether he'll still be working in IT and whether we'll be 'otherwise happy'. And then I think my father cheated on my mother for 25 years and hoope I don't end up with someone like him.

I think 35's a good age for us to move to a deserted tropical island.
posted by kazumi at 10:37 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment