The Contingency Plan

Monday, November 01, 2004

Well, today is my first official day off. I slept in, pottered around the house and our cable TV connection is playing up, so here I am online. I'm using the computer in the spare room (soon to be nursery) and the place is an absolute mess. Lucas has been using it as his cave - his nerdy paradise - so there are books, games, old computer screens, CDs, keyboards, microphones, speakers, routers and cardboard boxes (filled with more of this stuff) everywhere. He knows where everything is so I can't just rearrange it to my liking, but we thankfully bought a proper desk and a funky filing cabinet/storage space on the weekend so I'm comforted it won't be like this for long. I know he's reluctant to give up this space and keeps suggesting we move to a larger one, but we'll see how we go.

A big part of me wouldn't mind a bigger place now as Lucas told me on the weekend that his parents (mother plus fiance, really great guy) are coming to visit on 28 December for three weeks. It's stressing me out as I don't think we have enough room and would need to move the baby stuff out of the spare room and buy extra furniture (bed, mattress, etc) to accommodate them - I know, bad timing. I'm sure we could make things work (optimism kicking in), but I'm also worried as Wolfie will only be a month old and Lucas isn't taking any time off when his folks are here so I'll be looking after a baby and his parents as well. Although our place is lovely, I think it may be a little small for all of us, but there's no way I don't want to be hospitable. Lucas doesn't seem to be phased by any of this and I don't want to sound like a bitch so I think I'll just carefully plan everything, and also try to take them out with either of my parents so they can help me.

It's times like these I wish my parents were still together. They were great entertainers. People would often stay with us and we had friends over all the time - our family was warm, inviting and comfortable. And my parents are relaxed, open minded and funny, which also helped. I think I may worry too much and want everything to be perfect, which won't help me stay sane and enjoy their time here....
posted by kazumi at 2:41 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment