The Contingency Plan

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

A Friend in Feeds...

I'm not sure if I've previously mentioned it, but a friend from work, Chloe, was pregnant the same time as I was.

The whole experience was very coincidental. We literally live five minutes apart, would waddle together to work in the same car and although she was due exactly a month before I, we had our babies (both boys) a day apart.

And our co-workers loved it. They had a sweepstake to guess whose baby would come when, how heavy it would be, its sex (we both left it as a surprise), threw a combined baby shower for us and chipped in for the BEST baby bag that doesn't even look like one. Mine is black with big, funky charcoal spots and the inside is bright green with a matching change mat, bottle thermos and nappy wipe holder and Chloe's is the same but plain black on the outside and leopard print on the inside.

Anyhow, Chloe didn't have a good time straight after her birth. Her son, Louie, wasn't sleeping, wasn't feeding, her nipples were cracked and bleeding and she was well over it, and I felt terrible as I was having a good time with Hugo.

Now two weeks later it seems we've swapped places. I'm telling you (and Chloe agrees), it's all about the feeds - once you have those sorted, the baby sleeps soundly so you can, which eliminates the crazy mother syndrome you've developed in the meantime from sleep deprivation.

So today Chloe called me and I although I tried to stay strong, all she had to do was ask how I was and I was instantly in tears. We spoke for around an hour, sharing our experiences and frustrations, and it was such a comforting and supportive conversation. Not many of my friends have babies (neither do hers) so we decided it only makes sense to band together and support each other to get through our great and not so great days.

And I think the comfort and relief made a big difference to the Wolf and I as for the first time he fed straight off my breast - no expressing and no nipple shields. He still fusses a little, but the fact that he's now fed properly has given me tremendous hope.
posted by kazumi at 7:48 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment