The Contingency Plan

Sunday, January 23, 2005

There are some things we'll never forget

I'm watching MTV and "Blister in the sun" by the Violent Femmes is playing. This song was one I shared with Sophie.

We were in Byron Bay and the year was 1999. My manager at work had just fired me because I didn't want to move in with him and Sophie quit out of disgust. We each bought $600 worth of clothes with the last of our 50% discount and a one-way train ticket to Byron Bay. We were only meant to stay three days, but returned home ten days later.

"Blister in the sun" was playing the night we arrived. It was August so locals were littered here and there across the bar. We were the only ones dancing with eyes tightly closed and singing along at first, but then with crazy arms, shrugging shoulders, spirit fingers and smiles. Later that night I shaved my head.

That trip was fine liberation.
posted by kazumi at 1:58 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment