The Contingency Plan

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Conversations from our family Chinese New Year yum cha meal...

"Excuse me, can I have a glass of lemonade please?" Harry asked the waiter.
"No, later," he said and walked away.

***

"Umi, look at that baby," Mum said to me in Mandarin.
"So ugly, no one's baby as beautiful as Hugo."
"Mum, you can't say that," I replied
"Huh! Ay-yah, it's true, just look," she said.
"Ok, you're right," I slowly admitted.
"Hm. Your mother is always right. Also right in wanting more grandchildren. I give you 12 months. Fourteen months is also good. Yes."
"Mum, give me some time," I said.
"You just have the baby, I'll look after it," she replied.
"Gee, that makes it all better."

***

At the end of Luc's sarcastic remark, a hearty laugh escaped from everyone's lips, with the exception of Natasha. No longer preoccupied, she suddenly turned to face him.
"What was it?" she asked.
"Nevermind, you've missed it," he said.
"That doesn't matter, tell me. I'll laugh anyway."
We all laughed again. That's typical of my sister.


***

Background: I helped my brother shop for a Valentines Day present for a girl he fancies and we brainstormed THE corniest present EVER. Harry bought her a beautiful yet funky teal coloured, soft leather-bound notebook and then filled random pages with poems, thoughts, lists, pictures, inspirations and letters he wanted to give her. He included things like shells he kept from their first date on the beach, a list of places he wanted to take her, and little quirks he has that no one would otherwise know of. I know, barf worthy, but sure to score some major points.

"Hey thanks for your help with Katie's book," Harry said.
"That's ok bro, no worries," I replied.
"I also gave her those chocolates you said, a little teddy bear and some long 70cm stemmed roses."
"Oh, very nice," I said while nodding.
"Using Tash's help, her and a friend snuck into my bedroom on Sunday night and decorated my room with heaps of pics of us, big love hearts, balloon, streamers, pictures of herself and stuff like that. I was so amazed when I walked into there."
"Oh that's so sweet, ahh young love," said my old, old jaded voice.
"Dad apparently walked by when Tash was in the bathroom and he's never met Katie or her friend before so he just stood in the doorway as they were blowing up balloons wondering who the hell they were and what they were doing.
"So naturally he just said, 'Who are you and what are you doing here?'
"Apparently Katie just flashed him a big grin, stopped blowing her balloon and said 'Valentines Day, wanna help?'
"And Dad flatly said, 'No' and just walked away."
"Typical Dad," I said.
"Yeah, typical Dad." he agreed.
"Have you guys spoken ever since you confronted him about his affairs?" I asked.
"No. He's still hiding, but I figure he can't hide forever in his own home."

***

"Umi, I have a hom bou for Hugo," Mum said.
"Mum, please, you don't have to," I said.
"Rubbish," said Luc. "Of course she has to."
"Yes, that's right. I'm his grandmother and this is his first Chinese New Year. You just take a picture of me, him and the hom bou," she snapped.
"Ok," I said. "But he hasn't mastered the art of gripping anything yet."
As soon as that sentence escaped my lips, my son betrayed my words and held onto his first object - a little red envelope filled with money.
"Oh no!" I gasped.
"Haha, good boy," said Lucas. "Daddy's taught you well."

***

"Excuse me, can I have a glass of orange juice?" Harry later asked a waiter.
"No! I give you lemonade," he firmly replied.
"Ok then."

***

Today was the last day of the Chinese New Year - may this one bring you all good fortune!

xx
posted by kazumi at 9:33 pm

2 Comments:

i love the way you dialogue your mum
Blogger SquirrleyMojo, at 3:05 pm  
thanks :) i've only noticed her accent in the past few years. same with my dad's scottish accent. it really comes to light when he's mad or drinking, which is quite often when you think about his nationality. those mad scotsmen...
Blogger kazumi, at 1:46 am  

Add a comment