The Contingency Plan

Friday, February 25, 2005

Cut!

Besides cleaning out my bowels (damn stomach bug is still hanging on), I decided to attack another messy part of my life today - my wardrobe.

I had three impressive wardrobes in my hay day and they were so neat my clothes were grouped into colours and hung/folded the same way, a result from working in retail for so long. No I wasn't being obsessive/compulsive... Anyhow, Mum, Natasha and I also shared the same dress and shoe size and loved to shop so we had six wardrobes and around 200 pairs of shoes between us. I know, shameful.

But the wardrobe had a reputation! Friends would arrive in different stages of desperation and what followed was a version of 'What Not to Wear' Asian style. My generous yet tactless mother would candidly point out every flaw before raiding through the racks and creating a masterpiece.

"No! You can't wear that. Look, your hips. Too wide. Try this instead. Mm. I think will be much better."

Or.

"You should wear a long dress. See, your calves too big for a short dress, don't look good."

At first the girls would feel embarrassed and self-conscious, but within moments of hearing her "you don't have anything I don't" speech (usually said while she smoked a one milligram menthol cigarette, pulled at her own thighs and smacked her butt), all boys were banished, clothes were abandoned and we got down to business. Ahh, they were good times.

But I digress. The current state of my wardrobe is a disgrace. I think the last time I went through everything was around seven years ago. Oh the crap I have since accumulated!

So I called Mum a few days ago and asked for help. And I hate asking for help, but I knew there was no other way. I had to stop procrastinating and she'd also help with the baby. She's the only person I could ever ask this of and she loved every minute of it. I have to admit it was fun too.

Determined, I start the second round of eliminations tomorrow. The four garbage bags of unwanted clothes and one garbage bag of unwanted shoes just doesn't seem enough. Throwing things out feels sooooo good. Plus it'll help me get the house in order, ready for the cleaner...

ps. the boy and I are feeling much better today. the highlight of last night was cleaning the bathroom after he'd been sick all night. i didn't want the germs to keep travelling between us and knew i'd need to go in the morning so even though i finished at 4am, it was done and i was thankful for it.
posted by kazumi at 2:27 am

1 Comments:

i need to go through my wardrobe every couple of months. which makes my sister very happy.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:33 am  

Add a comment