The Contingency Plan

Friday, February 25, 2005

I must, I must, I must...

My earlier post has me thinking of all the obsessive compulsive things people I know must do. And there seem to be so many of them, like...

My former managing director vacuums his floors and polishes stainless steel appliances to relax. Yes, things like his toaster, kettle, fridge, etc. Thinking of him on his kitchen floor madly polishing pots, mad like Lady Macbeth was always a little entertaining.

My Year Eight English teacher never let us use the word 'get' in a sentence. Using it would make him furious. He said there were better words we could employ, but how would that work for the classic "get f!@ked"?

My friend Chloe never leaves the house unless her bed is perfectly made. Another friend can't stand his expansive music collection being out of alphabetical order.

Harry has a method of eating everything. He never just 'digs in'. For instance, to eat a pie, he'll start with the top, then eat the sides, followed by the filling with the bottom of the pasty. If we're in a restaurant and a meal is stacked, he'll take it apart and eat a little bit of the stack in each bite.

A former Client would not accept a document unless it was labelled the way she prefers - date then a short heading. For example "05.12.24 Press Release". If you didn't, she would email it back to you with a stern and rather condescending note asking you to change it and email it back to her, copying the boss on the note. Painful petty.

A former colleague rinses every piece of garbage she has before throwing it out.

And I, besides hanging everything the same way in my closet, must take the price sticker off any book, magazine or CD I buy. I know, not as exciting as washing my trash, but oh well.

Any you care to share??
posted by kazumi at 3:26 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment