The Contingency Plan

Monday, February 07, 2005

The last supper of words

It's been over a week and I'm still digesting thoughts from the last book club dinner.

Lucas and I leveraged our night out and met with friends before hitting the books, so after hours of tickling tales, we ran giddy and full through the rain to enter the small, narrow and noisy Thai restaurant.

With Hugo on my chest, I squeezed around the taken tables of the hungry and talkative, past the bustling, aromatic kitchen to walk up a worn and narrow wooden staircase to meet a table of unsuspecting bookworms.

They were shocked and silent to see us. They smiled and slowly started to speak, but their sentences were staccato so we only stayed for 20 minutes. God, I felt so uncomfortable.

The conversations were pleasant enough so I had to ask why. Apparently I'm a sight to see as a mother, it should pass.

Unsure, I now write with the latest book under my laptop and hope the next meeting won't feel as flavourless as the last. I'm sure it won't.
posted by kazumi at 7:20 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment