The Contingency Plan

Friday, April 22, 2005

Spider in red

A pest controller told me today that the population of Red Back spiders in Sydney is the greatest he's ever seen. He recently sprayed a primary school where he killed around 400 of them. They were apparently dropping from the seats, desks and ledges.

We've found four of these suckers in the past week, one which I killed above Hugo's cot (yikes!), which is why he was over.

The notorious Black Widow of the US is a close relative to the Red Back. Although they're suppose to be timid creatures, their bite is quite painful, has been fatal, and its venom attacks the nervous system. Luckily there's an anti-venom now.

Spiders never used to bother me but they freak me out now. Lucas thinks Red Backs look cool and wants a gang of them. I haven't told him about the collection my brother has. Dad always lets them live as he believes they get rid of the mozzies. If only he knew they prefer small lizards and crickets instead.

My favourite poem in primary school was 'Red Back on the toilet seat' and I still remember the first half:

There was a redback on the toilet seat
When I was there last night
I didn't see him in the dark
But boy I felt his bite
I jumped high up into the air
And when I hit the ground
That crafty redback spider
Wasn't nowhere to be found
I rushed into the missus
Told her just where I'd been bit
She grabbed a cut-throat razor-blade
And I nearly took a fit
I said, "Just forget what's on your mind
And call a doctor please
'Cause I got a feeling that your cure
Is worse than the disease."

They like shaded, dry and sheltered sites, which is why the old-fashioned outhouse was a favourite hangout.
posted by kazumi at 2:58 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment