The Contingency Plan

Monday, May 02, 2005

Baby Brain

It's seems babies are expected to do much more than say 'ga-ga' in these times. I purchased Hugo's first DVD today and it's not about cute pictures or cartoons, but part of the Baby Einstein collection on Mozart.

I know... I partly suckered into the whole theory that playing classical music will possibly make your baby smarter, or at least have a positive effect on its intellectual and creative developments.

Part of me thinks this is a big load of shiznit. I know classical music follows beautiful structural patterns and is far more complicated than today's four chord pop, but it seems too much to weigh upon my six month old who's just discovered he has feet! But I decided I'm actually playing a lot of classical now with my new piano so a little more won't hurt. Plus, it seems to keep him occupied so I can do other things... ok, that's the main reason why I bought it.

But the DVD got me thinking about the pressure modern parents put on their children. Most of the mothers I know have their babies in a strict routine. They eat, sleep and play at specific times, one of them even keeps a daily journal on the habits of her two month old! Yuck.

Of course I believe learning, structure and discipline are important, but I still want my kids to be kids - to play in the dirt, to fall off a bike, graze a knee, watch cartoons and build a fort - without worrying if it's intellectually beneficial. It's not all pretty, but I think it's still good stuff.
posted by kazumi at 3:45 pm

2 Comments:

First, thank you for such beautiful pics! Made me smile at work.

Next, can you compromise and do a litle bit of structure & a little bit of play? How about structured play? Isn't learning all about having fun now-a-day?

I don't really know anything at all--just wondering.

SquirrleyMojo
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 am  
Glad you like the pics. I just adore them.

I realised Hugo's already in a good routine as he eats, sleeps and plays at roughly the same time each day. I guess I'm just not anal about when everything takes place.

He had a check-up at the Baby Clinic this morning and he's right on track, which is a joy and a relief to hear!

I think a little bit of structure and a little bit of play sounds right on. Structured play it is then.
Blogger kazumi, at 2:51 pm  

Add a comment