The Contingency Plan

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Northern Exposure

Well there was absolutely no cleaning done yesterday. In fact, I spent the whole day in bed. Luc made and gave me all my meals in bed, Hugo joined me for all of his naps and I literally spent the whole day making the virtual Lucas and Kazumi grow rich and happy on the Sims 2. They got married and had a baby, but it was a girl so I couldn't call it Hugo. It was the best day I've had in months.

Anyhow, our little family spent the better majority of today visiting our good friends Jamie, Kris and Luis up in Newcastle. The city's around 150kms north of Sydney, which is approximately a two hour's drive away. We left after having brunch and getting the car washed, at around 11am and arrived at our friends' beachside apartment just after 1pm.

Hugo slept the entire trip (there and back) and besides eating and catching up, Luc and I also had our hair cut. Jamie's the best darn hairdresser I've ever come across. I did a lot of hair modelling for him when he lived in Sydney and followed him to many different salons, but he's no longer a professional hairdresser. Weary of the whole industry he changed careers and is now a builder. He still cuts a lot of hair though, thank God as he's very talented. His hands have a few callouses now and he's a little rougher around the edges but I think it merely adds character.

I recently decided to lop off my boring girl hair and decided it was worth a trip to Newcastle to have Jamie do it. Afer cutting it for six years he knows what works. I've never told him what I want; I just sit in the chair and let him do his stuff. I've worn it shaved. I've worn it white blonde (I have naturally jet black hair), I've had a mullet, a mowhawk and my favourite, an 80s inspired asymetrical cut parted to the side with one side a no.2 and the other side long and swept across. It looked hot at the time. Sadly, I had to get my passport renewed during this so I'm stuck with it for a long time. Bad.

Anyhow it took Jae over an hour to cut my hair as I went from having curls half way down my back to wearing it cropped like a boy. It's now very short and I love it. I now feel happy about how I look for the first time since I was pregnant. What a relief.

After it was cut we had fun being stupid with all of that hair. We made fake bear slippers (no slipper was actually needed), a wig, a nest, etc. In the end we scooped a whole plastic bag of it up. Crazy.
posted by kazumi at 11:57 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment