The Contingency Plan

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Scents of this woman

I recently read a New York Times article on the treatment of perfume in Japan and found it quite fascinating.

In many ways I can relate to the Japanese who prefer no smell on a body, unlike a lot of Westerners who lather their skin with scents.

If I could, I would strip my body of all hair and smell. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t object to bodily odors. While on my last holiday I didn’t shower for three days just to see how my body would smell. It was an enjoyable indulgence, but I would never venture out of the house like that. Some days, like today, I wear shirts that Luc has worn as they smell of him – his sweat, his skin, but despite this, I’d love to be stripped of this essence as it would seem so clean, pure and unpolluted.

When Luc first arrived in Australia he carried almost as much cologne as he did clothes. I was amazed. My family and many past boyfriends have a few fragrances each - whenever I smell Chanel No. 5 I think of my mother, my Dad always wears Pacco Rabbane - yet Luc had a spectrum of flavours. I was intrigued.

Unfortunately that interest didn’t develop into love as I found many of the scents too heavy and overpowering; perhaps it was due our warm and humid climate. In fact, he’s become quite like me and only wears a couple of scents now. My favourite is Hugo by Hugo Boss. He wore this when we first met and it always takes me back to the elation and giddiness I felt.

When Luc’s mum visited us from Canada last year I took her shopping and realised why Luc had so many colognes. She spent over an hour in the perfume department sampling the scents and bought a few of them, all with a very strong, thick and musky textures. Wearing perfume was like wearing clothes to her. She enjoys being adventurous and greatly treasures variety whereas I prefer a few classic pieces.

It was then I realised I put a lot of myself into the perfumes I choose. I almost become synonymous with them. I’ll usually wear one for a year or two, wear it out and then move onto a new one. I’ll always love the ones I’ve worn though as they billow with memories embodying that time. A couple years ago a good friend bought me CK’s Contradiction, an aroma I adored many years ago but haven’t worn in as many since and it shocked me that he remembered.

My sense of scent was very sensitive while I was pregnant so I rarely wore perfume. When Hugo was first born, a number of midwives told me that he would know me from my scent and I absolutely adored the notion, it only strengthened the bond I already felt.

True to form, I’m feeling like a new fragrance as my present ones (Davidoff’s Cool Water and Gucci’s Rush) don’t seem to fit anymore. I don’t want anything that slaps you in the face, no, I’m craving something that flutters and floats and is as close to that clean, pure and unpolluted feeling I so desire.
posted by kazumi at 3:11 pm

2 Comments:

Interesting. There are many blogs on fragrances, such as http://ateauomblingo.blogspot.com (you will see others posted there...not good at cutting and pasteing.

These women, and I am one, love to talk about fragrances from all over the world!
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia, at 8:32 am  
Thanks for the comment Barbara!

The art of perfume is very interesting. I have yet to select my new purchase so I'll be sure to check out those sites.
Blogger kazumi, at 8:11 pm  

Add a comment