The Contingency Plan

Friday, July 08, 2005

I'm so sad today for those who have experienced incredible loss and horror today in London. One of my greatest fears is loosing someone I adore.

I tend to engross myself in the news when events like these take place and I agree with London Mayor, Ken Livingstone when in this statement he said the following:

"I want to say one thing specifically to the world today. This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful. It was not aimed at presidents or prime ministers. It was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian, Hindu and Jew, young and old. It was an indiscriminate attempt to slaughter, irrespective of any considerations for age, for class, for religion or whatever."

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Lots of people I've spoken to today are scared that Australia is next, especially as our soldiers are in Iraq with those from Britain and the US. I admit I don't know enough about this to lend an educated opinion. Although I watch the news I always believe there's so much we don't know and at times I just want to forget all the madness by staying in the comfort of my home with those I love most.

I was interested though in the way bloggers have changed how news is reported. Within minutes of the attacks, mobloggers had published their photos online and newspapers were using these and the words of many bloggers in their articles. This site has a great summary of the events from a blogger's point of view. I'm sure they'll come a day when great bloggers threaten the existence of journalists.
posted by kazumi at 6:02 pm

1 Comments:

I've actually read articles about the same point you made; great bloggers will threaten the existence of journalists. I wish I could remember them, but of course I don't. It does seem like a likely situation though. I often read things on a blog before I see it on the news.
Blogger Bente, at 10:02 pm  

Add a comment