The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Left over thoughts

Am I ever going to complete my laundry?
I never seem to get it all done. Even if I do laundry every damn day, there's always more. It's reached a point where I see laundry as another method of clothes storage... and that just doesn't seem right.

I almost can't be bothered

My cousin Catherine is visiting from Scotland with her fifteen year old daughter for a month. Within five minutes of my 'Welcome to Australia!' call last week, she'd stated my mother was out of bounds and wasn't considered family anymore. She said she wasn't being judgmental, but didn't want to see her or have anything to do with her and hoped I was ok with that.

Just when I thought we could all move on...
We've organised to meet tomorrow and I'm not really looking forward to it... so I'm taking Harry and Natasha as buffers.

Is working with Drew a good idea?
I've started work with Drew on a very lucrative business she has. It's ideal for me as I can use my skills, learn new ones, work from home, meet clients after hours and actually help people do good for others.
The only downfall is this is a side project for Drew and she's tremendously slack at delivering ANYTHING. It took her two months to meet up to discuss the basics of this deal and I've been waiting for her to review some documents now for over a week. I know she has a full time job, but we're charging people a lot of money so the best service is really in order, yes??

Why can't I find a good women's magazine to subscribe to??
I miss all the mags I used to read through work so I've been looking into some to subscribe to. I LOVE magazines. They're my indulgence, my entertainment and my inspiration. If I had my way I'd subscribe to all the cooking and interior/home design mags but can't find a single women's magazine I like. Sure I enjoy fashion, entertainment and gossip, but just cannot bring myself to read the articles. They're infuriating and far too predictable. The writers seem to circulate in the same tiny groups; I know these crowds and they're boring. Why don't these magazines even come close to representing my world? Where are the beautiful words and captivating stories? Where’s the grit and humour? Even if I pay $10 for a copy and see clothes worth thousands inside, the words and experiences are always shallow and cheap. Why?? The other disappointment was realising a year's subscription to Wallpaper costs $185/year. Yeah right.

Sex blah blah
I had a shocking conversation with Amelia last month. Like me, she's been with Kian for over five years and were talking briefly about our sex lives and I was shocked to discover neither of us really have sex anymore. We're both happy in our relationships and wouldn't want to be with anyone else but all fall asleep as soon as we hit the bed. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of love and affection but no sex. I thought I was the only one and never expected it from them as they're so damned good looking.
I remember when I befriended a former Australian Idol contestant, the first thing people would say when his name was mentioned is that he's a virgin. He embodied this. It was such a shame.
I also hate the way Australian dramas depict sex, it's all they focus on. There’s no substance to the work. Luc and I saw an ad for another 'cutting edge Australian drama' last night and even he asked, 'why are they all so obsessed with sex? Can't they think of anything else?'

I hope Michelle’s ok
I worked with Michelle for three years before she left for an amazing in-house position (mecca for most of us in an agency). Very family orientated, her parents are her best friends and although she's very ambitious, if you get her alone she'll confess that all she wants is be married and have children, which is a very controversial desire in the female dominated, girl-power environment of public relations. She got married last year and is trying for a baby next year, but I just found out her father suddenly died of cancer two weeks ago. They found out two months ago. I can't emphasise how close her family is. I called her and she's a mess. She's taken a month off work and I feel so horribly sad for her and her family. We're meeting next Friday for coffee.

It's Christmas time again!
Hugo has two teeth coming through at the moment (yes on top of being sick, yikes!), but feeling for them each morning is like shaking wrapped presents. Fun!

posted by kazumi at 3:44 pm

6 Comments:

Bust is the only women's magazine I can stand. I love it so much I'd write for them for free, if they'd have me. Smart, hilarious, sexy, crafts-y. Kind of bizarro fashion, but that's what I like. Oh, and they have a One-Handed sexy story in every issue. Scandalous!
Blogger Tequila Red, at 6:23 am  
Funny how laundry begins to top sex, even in writing.

_Bust_ is good, from what I hear. But it sounds like you may be just the person to develop a new mag, no? Could it possibly fit in some place between laundry/projects/sex?
Blogger SquirrleyMojo, at 11:07 am  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger kazumi, at 3:42 pm  
Oooh, they beat me to it. I also love Bust. Bitch magazine is also one of my favorites.

Great magazines to have laying around the coffee table...Bitch and Bust. Wholesome titles.
Blogger portuguesa nova, at 12:42 pm  
Trying to post a gramatically correct comment after a gruelling 20 hour day is not a good idea.

Well, Bust seems right up my alley! Smart, hilarious, sexy and crafts-y sounds just like me... ahem.

I'm positive they'd take you on if they read your blog Tequila.

I'd LOVE to start a magazine Squirrley. If I did, I'd fill the pages with amazing blog entries from around the world and the fashion ideas of children.

Anyone interested??
Blogger kazumi, at 12:48 pm  
Ha, Bitches and Bust... what more could a gal want??
Blogger kazumi, at 12:50 pm  

Add a comment