The Contingency Plan

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lost in the snow

I don't think I've mentioned it, but the only time Penelope and I have disagreed was over a boy. Adrian. That's his real name people, no psuedonym there.

We were around fifteen and both adored him. Actually, most of our friends did. He and his identical twin brother Sebastian were known all over town for being absolute heart throbs, the 'Arrogent' brothers. Cheeky and confident, Adrian was the sensitive one, Sebastian was the crazy one. Pen briefly went out with Adrian and I vividly remember being told the news and crying with another friend (who also had the hots for him). We felt horribly betrade.

When I was around eight my family started going to the Hillsong Church and I continued going there for over ten years. Through the church I met a core group of around 10-15 friends and we we grew incredibly close. For around eight years we saw each other at least four times a week and would go away on a week-long church camps around two times a year. Pen, Adrian, Sebastian and I were all part of this group and although none of us really go to church anymore (long story), we share a bond closer than most families do. We have so many fond memories. In many ways, I think I'm still searching for a group of friends to replace them.

So I was shocked when at around three o'clock this afternoon Pen called me to say Adrian had gone missing. She'd been trying to call me for over a day and when I found my phone I had 11 missed calls from her and other friends. I then went online and read the articles. He went skiing and hasn't been seen since a night of partying on Sunday night. The photo doesn't look like him.

It's 12.39am and I can't seem to sleep. I keep checking the news for updates but know there will be none until the morning. And then another memory will pop back into my head or I'll recall how intense my feelings were for him as my first teenage crush (which lasted for nearly five years). And then I'll feel horrible for his mother and for Sebastian and pray he's been drinking martinis in some lovely lady's hot tub for the past few days, oblivious to the fuss.

But as horribly selfish as this is, I really want him to be around as if he's not it'll shatter that perfectly innocent period of my life.
posted by kazumi at 12:53 am

4 Comments:

Ooh, I hope he turns up someplace. Let us know.
Blogger junebee, at 11:21 am  
Keep your memories alive
Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 pm  
You can post a tribute to Adrian at this website:
www.adrian-arregin.memory-of.com
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 pm  
LOVE your writing style... Shouldn't have cut off your head in the photo... You're HOT.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 pm  

Add a comment