The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My Top Ten From Our Vancouver Visit

10. It has a really big screen















I visited the River Nile while in Canada. We journeyed from its source to the Mediterraean and it was all thanks to the Omnimax Theatre. It was great. The screen is so big and round that you feel like you're actually in the film. In some of the film's flying parts I actually felt dizzy. They're all only 45 minutes long - perfect for my attention span.

9. A Bloody Big Boat

















For our second week in Canada we visited Nanaimo and Victoria on Vancouver Island. Beyond staying with Luc's extended family, I really enjoyed and was amazed at how big the BC Ferries are - they can hold up to 500 cars!

8. Thanks






















I like Thanksgiving for its simplicity. Forget pomp and presents, just make a shit load of food, invite family and friends over, say a thankful prayer and then eat 'til the stomach under your stretchy pants feels pain.
Luc's Mom made so much food that the turkey couldn't fit on the table. This is a picture of her cutting up the hot bird with her bare hands. Her (delectable homemade) stuffing alone fit into a large serving bowl.
There were seven of us and we had mashed potato (my favourite!), yams, roasted vegetables, two fresh salads, roasted pork, peas, corns, and a different gravy for each of the meats. We all ate two hearty portions and then felt defeated by a table that looked as though we hadn't started.

7. Suspended Fears





















I was reaquainted with my fear of heights on this damn rickety structure. Sure, I know it's technically 'safe', but the thing uncontrollably sways. Behind my smiles were clenched teeth of terror. I couldn't enjoy the simply stunning view because I was too busy silently quoting life confirming affirmations and holding damn tight onto the edge. I've been talked into mountain climbing, abseiling, handgliding, rockclimbing, hell I've even climbed the Harbour Bridge and prefer all of these to the great time I had on the wonderful Capilano Suspension Bridge

6. Show me the Bargains!

















I know it's tacky, but my God did I revel in Cosco and Winners! It's so cheap! There's so much stuff! It's not all trash! Did I mention how cheap it is? We have no such thing in Sydney, everything here is at least two or three times the amount Canadians pay. It's not fair. Mom and I literally spent two very happy days bargain hunting. We bought a bit of everything, which included the extra luggage to hold it all in. We proudly arrived in Canada with only two bags and left shamefully with... seven.


5. Some Kick Ass Moutains
















Going to Vancouver made me realise how flat the land of Sydney is! When I look around here all I can see is Australia or the ocean (yes, I suffer). There are no other countries in sight. So when I reached Vancouver I couldn't believe Mt Baker of Washington can be seen from our street! Wow! And when we flew into Tokyo, we had the most amazing view of Mt Fuji and it's just so spectacular. I fell in love with mountains on this trip. Vancouver is surrounded by them and I find them beautiful, serene and absolutely awe-inspiring.

4. Friday Night Faceoff
















You can't go to Canada without experiencing a live hockey game. The crowds, the speed, the overt aggression. It's fucking tops. Barry surprised us with the tickets, Mom was eager to have alone time with her grandson and Luc and I went, drank beer and ate hotdogs. I loved every moment and thought perhaps I should start playing a competitive sport. Hmmm...

3. Hunting Down a House
















Luc and I would really really like to buy a house but Sydney is so freaking expensive. But go to Vancouver and we can suddenly afford a huge, brand new beautiful home in a really lovely part of town. We met with a number of mortgage brokers who are peachy keen to throw some cash so we're thinking why not? If all goes to plan we hope to board a plane again in 6-12 months for a one-way trip to a new home. Yay!

2. A Night to Remember

















I didn't think much of it. The woman can't cook for her own birthday. So I took charge, told Barry to invite everyone, created a delicious menu of my favourite crowd pleasers and got to work. Luc and his brother Boris drove me to get whatever I needed, helped me in the kitchen and she was banished to the lounge where Barry was ordered to keep her wine glass full. Just before I server the mains she announced, tearfully, that this was her first birthday party. No one had ever cooked for her or even made a cake in her 47 years. The rest of the night was a delightful mix of indulgent food, wine, laughter and music - quite perfect really.

1. Luc's Family




















Yes, let's all say it together now... Awwwwww. Yes, it's so corny but his family kicks ass. Besides the super cheap homes, beautiful landscape and culture, Luc's family are the main reason we want to move there. I just realised I don't have a picture of us all together so this one will have to do. I love them. Enough said.

3 Comments:

What a great list. I'm really glad you love Luc's family so much. I may not know you well, but I think you deserve to be surrounded by a warm, loving family. Good for you guys!
Excellent picture, a real keeper for Hugo and your MIL. Hugo is the cutest thing since my Branch...big hug for him.
I'm glad you enjoyed the list.

Thanks for such lovely words Bente. We spent most of our time in Canada doing normal family things and it was just so refreshing. I've really missed it.

And Junebee I saw the latest pics of Branch on your blog and he's divine. I think we're all lucky to have such healthy, adorable kids!

Add a comment