The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Welcome Back!

After 30 hours of travelling, Luc, Hugo and I arrived home yesterday relieved and eager to rest. My feelings towards Sydney were mixed, but I thought to deal with it after I'd adjusted to the jetlag and thick, invading heat.

I was so happy to see my sister. We'd been writing long emails throughout our trip and achieved a closeness we haven't experienced since living together. I convinced her to skip school and stay with us for the day, which proved to be a good move as Sydney wasn't taking rejection well.

We arrived home to a nightmare travellers fear: being locked out. A quick call to our real estate agent revealed a spot property inspection had taken place while we were away. They had locked both locks on our door, which we don't usually do as we only have one key. I was dreadfully unimpressed and it got worse as upon arriving, hot, tired and with luggage still in the car, I then had an argument with the receptionist due to her totally unprofessional and unnecessary attitude. But before I could I reach over and stab her with the keys I'd just received, the office manager came out and nicely overcompensated by being extremely kind.

So we were home, the place was spotless and within minutes our bags were open and I was showing Nash her presents and other goods we'd happily aquired. We were all hungry, thirsty and the fridge was empty (actually it contained rotten food we'd forgotten to take out) so Luc grabbed the car keys and volunteered to do some grocery shopping. Two minutes later he was back as our car wouldn't start. Road assistance was too busy and other companies cost too much money but before we lost hope, our neighbours came the rescue, loaned us some jumper plugs and pushed our car to health again. Luc was happy his first love was ok again and went to get it washed as a reward...

... Shortly after we were home, the car was working, we'd eaten and jetlag was starting to take hold. Luc and I were determined to stay up so Tash suggested we watch one of the movies we'd bought. We were excited and settled down with some homemade iced tea and fresh watermelon only to discover the overide regional coding function on our DVD wasn't work so we couldn't watch any of the 32 movies we'd bought. Hugo then smashed my favourite mug. Natasha then accidentally mentioned Mum had changed her number as a result of an argument I'd had with her before we left. I then casually walked to Hugo's room to get some air and stumbled upon a treadmill I had hired months ago and had forgotten to return. It was then time to feed Hugo so we happily sat (I really enjoy breastfeeding) and with his newly aquired teeth he not only bit but bruised one of my nipples. Then it started to rain.

Don't you just love coming back from a holiday?
posted by kazumi at 9:50 am

2 Comments:

Welcome back!

It seems kind of rude to me that the real estate agent went inot your apartment without your permission. Maybe that's just me though. :)
Blogger Bente, at 3:34 pm  
Thanks Kyra and Bente!

Bente: I totally agree with you. The issue of these inspections is something that crawls under my skin and absolutely BURNS!!!

I find it so incredibly rude, arrogent and presumptuous. They should respect our privacy, plus we're reasonable people, happy to organise a suitable time.

Every real estate agent we've dealt with has done the same thing and I've been subsequently mad at each one. In every situation they've made little effort to communicate the inspection time (ie. a letter I've received after the inspection) or have been extremely difficult in organising a time outside of working hours like Saturday (they work Saturdays) so we can be present. And what makes me so mad is that I only know they've been there because they've left a card on our coffee table or a note to say they were by, which I find when I come home. No phone call afterwards. RUDE!!!

We've lived in three main areas of Sydney and have dealt with many different companies and although I approach each one with a clean slate and disposition I'm continually disappointed. I starting to really loathe them. Yes, they're all the same and yes, I've now finished my rave :D

Sigh. Growl.
Blogger kazumi, at 4:43 pm  

Add a comment