The Contingency Plan

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I imagine divorce is particularly hard for older couples who have dedicated 20+ years to marriage. I don't how I'd adjust to all the time alone and the loss of someone I'd share so many memories with.

Dad's over our house at the moment. After seeing him at the wedding last Saturday and at Hugo's birthday party on Sunday, he called this afternoon to see if he could pop by as he'd just finished a job in the area.

When he arrived he was still in his construction gear. His big truck was parked out front and after taking off his dirty work boots we shared a cup of tea, chatted and I then offered him a change of clothes, a big towel and our spare room to nap in. He was thankful and while making dinner I wondered how long it's been since someone has really taken care of him. Mum used to do everything for him - wash and buy his clothes, make his meals, she kept him healthy and young and his looks have aged at least 10 years since their divorce.

But beyond feeling bewildered today, there's a palpable sense of sadness, lonliness and regret in him. Although I know it's a result of his foolish actions he's still my father, which is why after all the crappy things he's done I won't reject his company, will make sure he's taken his stomach medication and not drinking too much, make him dinner and pack some extra for his lunch the next day.

In an effort to save more money for our move overseas we're currently breaking our lease to move even further out west (sob). We'll be closer to my family and a big part of me wonders whether it's happening to heal some of our relationships before I go.

Here's to hoping.
posted by kazumi at 7:19 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment