The Contingency Plan

Monday, January 09, 2006

In spite of all my corporate experience, I'm just starting to feel at ease with my job. It's not a matter of actual work, but moreso the people.

One thing I could never handle was all the bullshit conversations. I just don't see the point of such niceties when you're going to slam the person right after they leave. And my industry is full of such fakeness.

Once during an internal meeting we were talking about fingernails (yay) and my colleagues were complimenting our director and giving her advice on her nails. It was a total wank. I have naturally strong, white, fast growing nails so when they complimented me on mine I said I kept them long for scratching Luc's back. Said it came handy in all sorts of situations. Said he loved it. No one knew what to say and quickly returned to talking about whatever we were unnecessarily there to discuss.

I can't tell you how good it is to do business on my terms and without all the pretentious fakies.
posted by kazumi at 1:34 pm

2 Comments:

Ya, I hate all that nice-nice stuff too. Alot of times when I see people, I don't ask "how are you" because, frankly, I don't care how they are. I just say "Hello" or "Goodbye" or whatever is the bare-bones minimum. "How are you". is so overused. NOBODY really cares how the other person is unless that other person is a friend or family member. In which case, we don't ask because we can tell right away by looking at them, or they've already told us their problems.

Did you tell Luc what you said in the fingernail conversation?!
Blogger junebee, at 6:24 am  
Haha, I don't mind a 'how are you?' every now and then, even if is overused.

The fingernail incident happened years ago so I can't remember whether or not I told Luc. He cares very little for the opinion of others so I don't think he would have minded :)
Blogger kazumi, at 11:08 am  

Add a comment