The Contingency Plan

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Blink

I met Chloe at 10am this morning. We had a meeting for an exciting job with a fabulous jeweller celebrating 10 years of success. Careful attention had been paid to our outfits, hair, accessories and we left the boys happily playing with Rachel.

Minutes later we were by the side of a crushed car. Driver dead and unrecognisable. Ambulance, police and fire department on their way.

He had been speeding extremely fast along the curved and wet road. Chloe had to swerve out of the way, he just missed slamming into our vehicle and was already on our side of the road. I turned and saw the driver's side of his car smash with great force and a loud BAM into the back of a solid council truck, barely avoiding the workers gardening close by.

His car then ricocheted off the truck and into a pole where it laid, silent.

The two cars behind us stopped opposite the crash site and the drivers ran over. Chloe called the police and I saw the council workers run over to the car, check the body.

By the time I reached them there were seven people there. Four or five were on their mobile phones calling the emergency line. The council workers were in shock. A woman came over to me and told me he was dead.

There was no doubt.

Chloe and I were the only ones, besides the council workers to witness the whole thing.

It happened so quickly. Life becoming death in a matter of moments.
posted by kazumi at 1:04 pm

4 Comments:

Oh god. How horrible. I'm so glad you and your friend didn't get hurt.
Blogger Bente, at 4:30 pm  
jesus. i'm glad you guys are okay.
Blogger michelle, at 4:17 am  
Oh, that's awful. You and Chloe must have been so shook up. Were you able to make the meeting? I don't think I would have been able to go to the meeting.
Blogger junebee, at 4:21 am  
Thanks guys.

I'm glad we're ok too.

We ended up postponing our meeting as we had to stick around the crash site and give statements to the police, etc.

I must say the police, ambulance and fire departments were so quick to respond. I was thoroughly impressed with the work they do as I just couldn't deal with that kinda stuff on a regular basis.
Blogger kazumi, at 11:47 pm  

Add a comment