The Contingency Plan

Monday, August 14, 2006

Rest and stay still... Now.

It's day six on the couch and day ten after the operation and the frustration is wearing on me like (insert intelligent simile). My brain is still fuzzy. I mix my words up and can't express myself with any clarity. I'm still dependant on pain killers and laxatives. But it's starting to get better. Yes, the light at the end of the tunnel and all that jazz.

Last night I picked Hugo up a few times, walked around and helped with dinner and boy did I feel the strain and strong ache afterwards. I'm still checking my business emails daily and find it so hard not to bite into some solid work. My mind and body are so familiar with the fast pace.

And now I'm learning the hard lesson of rest.

According to the Bible, God rested after creating the heavens and earth and many cultures still embrace a daily siesta, but if I think of my good friends and family, any spare time is sucked up by social events, time with family, parties, picnics, coffee or tea. We have to schedule time together months in advance and large chunks of time to simply lie or rest are obsolete.

To be honest, I'm struggling with this slower pace. I try to plan daily activities to occupy and satisfy my mind, I search for things online (real estate, ebay, new blogs), watch the midday movie, nap, read and become frustrated when I think I have about another two weeks of this. I'd be ok if I could get out and about. Whatever I do I have to be lying or sitting down. Yes, "How could you be like that?"ask all you burnt out, rest-deprived friends and I don't blame you. I know I would theoretically do the same.

So pray tell, what can I do to rest? Does anyone have suggestions? Do you people rest, and if so, what do you do?

Help.
posted by kazumi at 9:13 pm

2 Comments:

Can someone take you for a drive in the car?

Last year when I got out of the hospital, I thought I would never get my energy back. I had to actually come out of the bedroom to lie on the couch and visit my kids. Only by sheer willpower did I do a few chores, followed by rest. I folded laundry while lying down. I had to force myself to eat. My mom made spaghetti the second night I was home and that sent me over the edge - my appetite came back!

I usually spend my "resting" time reading my favorite internet pages - about 20 blogs plus assorted international and domestic news pages.
I really need to read more books!
Blogger junebee, at 8:15 am  
A drive is a great idea. I'm feeling really good today, I think the rest is finally starting to show results! :)

I agree with you on the book front. It's so easy to read the latest post of my favourite blogs or news online instead of getting into the disposition required for a hearty book. Such laziness!! Tsk tsk. I'd really like to go the next book club meeting so maybe a book will do the trick...
Blogger kazumi, at 9:38 am  

Add a comment