The Contingency Plan

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Hot Head

It's hot today and rage towards the owners of this house has escalated. This house has no fly screens, lots of big, trendy windows and no air conditioning, so if you calculate the heat is outside (today, 37 degrees) and add another 4-5 degrees then you'll have the environment in our house.

One of the main features of the place is its big open plan area that opens above to a mezzanine level. You can add as many fans and noisy portable air conditioners as you like and it still doesn't make a difference to the intolerable heat. Hugo is frustrated and none of us can sleep properly.

I absolutely LOATHE the concept of moving house, AGAIN, but cannot handle this heat. I'd rather relocate.

We had a mandatory house inspection last Thursday and the real estate agent said she'd look into the heat issue again with the owners. They live two doors down and claim they 'aren't air conditioner types'.

We've been permitted to purchase and install an airconditioner but would have to leave it behind or pay for the 'damage' if we take it with us.

This seems like a no-win situation.
posted by kazumi at 6:43 pm

4 Comments:

Oh God. I wouldn't be able to handle the heat without at least a little help. And who freaking cares if they're "not air conditioner people", they should just get one installed since I'm sure most tenants would want it that way. Yeesh!

I'm with you on the loathing moving, but we might have to as well. There is a huge ant problem here and it was here when we moved in. I can't seem to get rid of them permanently, can only stave them off for short periods of time. We're pretty sure they're under the house and then come up through. The heat brings them out and I think if I have to live another summer of vacuuming and mopping every second day and spraying something not good for my family every day I just might have a nervous breakdown.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 pm  
Oh man, those ants sound horrendous! I can't imagine going through that all summer long. As Dr. Phil would say, it's a deal breaker.

I wrote a rather direct letter to our real estate agent after blogging last night because I was so damn angry at the situation. We've been very patient and compromising and they've done jack shit to address the issue, even though it's consistently raised. Our lease is up in December so I said we'd move if nothing is done by then and they'll face the same issue with someone else. Good luck trying to let the house in the peak of summer.

Serenity now...

Anyway, I totally hear you Blurry. Moving sucks, but perhaps living in an ant-friendly or oven-inspired home isn't worth it for our bubbas, and our sanity... (mine diminishing rapidly these days)...

Will be thinking of you!
Blogger kazumi, at 11:44 pm  
I would not be able to tolerate that! 31 outside is enough for me but we do have a fairly new house with AC.

People from the Northeastern U.S. claim it's so hot here in Florida. I tell them you go from your AC house to your AC car to your AC job, back into your AC car, stop off at the AC grocery store, back into AC car, go to AC martial arts or gym, return to AC house in AC car. You never even feel the heat! ACtually with the price of gas I've been skimping on the AC in the car unless Branch and Blossom are aboard.

Sounds like you need to move. Yes, again.
Blogger junebee, at 2:21 am  
No A/C, gawd I cannot even begin to comprehend what that would be like. Grim. I would install and send them the bill.

HMHB
Blogger halfmanhalfbeer, at 8:31 pm  

Add a comment