The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A mother truckin' tea party

Our gorgeous little boy turned two over two weeks ago now and I have not blogged a single thing about it. Sorry.

Although I originally a planned a dazzling disco, the idea developed into something a little too extravagent for a party he won't remember. I couldn't justify the costs and it was a bit too taxing on my time, especially to coordinate around two major work events and the funeral of Gordon's dad.

Sooooooo. We went with a 'truckin tea party' theme and oh, it was fun. Our house was filled with around 30 people, the open plan living space was transformed into three chill out areas, one of which was on the backyard deck alongside a big train and truck track (say that ten times).

I raided thrift and second hand shops beforehand and found fantastic vintage wooden trucks, books and toys to style with construction hats and tea party things.

AND I baked the following things from scratch:
* Sausage rolls with spicy homemade tomato sauce
* Zucchini cakes with yoghurt dipping
* Variety of club and finger sandwiches
* Scones (served with cream and gourmet jams)
* Carrot cake
* Raspberry cheesecake cupcakes (with a deliciously dark and chocolatey oreo cookie base)
* And we also had a big, yummy fruit platter of mango, kiwi, strawberries, watermelon, rockmelon, etc.

Mum bought a delicious 'Thomas the Tank Engine' birthday cake (Hugo LOVES Thomas) but when we sang 'Happy birthday', he didn't seem to like all of the attention and threw a big tantrum, kicking and crying on the floor. And it's not like you can discipline someone during their own happy birthday song...

Apart from that one incident, Hugo was a happy socialite who literally fell asleep in my arms at 8pm, chocolate smeared across his face and hands still clutching a new truck.

Friends stayed on for dinner and it was then that I realised that we had forgotten to take ANY photos. Boo. I have lots of mental snaps though of Hugo running up and down the halls pushing trucks with my brother; him dancing with my sister and girlfriends; watching a new 'Thomas' DVD with his little friends and them all absolutely engaged with the train and truck track.

I still can't believe he's already two.
posted by kazumi at 1:00 pm

2 Comments:

Whaaat!!! No pictures!? I waited all year for this!? Crikey!

P.S: Wanna cater our kids' party? I was only going to do about 10 people, a small cake and maybe a fruit platter for healthy snacking. Oh yeah. And beer.
Blogger junebee, at 5:10 am  
Sorry Junebee :)

I haven't told Luc's mother yet. I think we'll be able to hear her cries from Canada.

Your party sounds great. What more do you need besides beer and cake?? I was absolutely exhausted after Hugo's. I start off small but get carried away...
Blogger kazumi, at 7:26 am  

Add a comment