The Contingency Plan

Friday, December 15, 2006

3:51pm: Well isn't this a first.... The house is all packed, boxes stacked, bedrooms cleared and we're literally sitting around waiting for the movers to arrive. We've been waiting for about an hour so far.

The packing has been smooth sailing but it's raining today (Sydney breaks down in the rain) so I hope the move will be smooth too. Luc is loitering around the house, opening drawers, cupboards, lingering in rooms for things missed and I can clearly hear his big, flat feet clomping throughout the echoing space. Hugo is asleep on the couch (the beds are all packed up) and Susi is online.

There's no phone connection in the new house yet and Christmas is quickly approaching so who knows when .... oh the door bell is ringing!!

4:53pm: The doorbell was a false alarm. I've called the moving company and there's been a delay with the last job (namely a 250m walk to get to the actual premise) so they estimate another 2.5 hours before they will reach our place.

Luc, Susi and Hugo have packed the car with the television, Foxtel (cable tv) box and other goodies and have left for our new abode as Hugo was suffering from intense boredom here. His toys are at the other place and so are two flights of stairs (he loves stairs).

5:32pm: I've turned the fridge back on and have re-stocked the freezer as I couldn't bear to let the full and juicy salmon, prawns, scallops, squid and tuna steaks I recently bought go to waste.

Luc just called from the new house and although I connected the gas, electricity and cable tv today, only the electricity seems to be working. The ducted air system isn't working either. I think moving on a Friday was a bad move. And I think scheduling the move for a Friday afternoon has made it even worse.

What was I thinking?
posted by kazumi at 3:51 pm

4 Comments:

Uh oh. Did the movers show up - at a reasonable hour? As if it's not bad enough moving with a small child. Hope everything gets plugged in for the weekend.
Blogger junebee, at 1:49 pm  
And so? Are you all settled in now?
With ALL of the utilities working, I hope!
Blogger angela marie, at 3:18 pm  
Junebee: the movers turned up five hours late and the move has been quite a nightmare!

Angie: We're still settling in.... thankfully its the holidays so I have more time to organise everything, even though I'd much rather relax!

Kazumi
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 pm  
hope you are doing well
Blogger SquirrleyMojo, at 1:48 am  

Add a comment