The Contingency Plan

Friday, January 12, 2007

I was walking down Norton Street in Leichhardt today after getting a kick ass haircut, passing people lounging casually in cafes relishing the last of the holidays, and feeling pleased that the skinny jeans I recently bought can actually be worn out now (they used to cut my mid section painfully and shamefully in two). The sun was warming my skin and I decided to walk the few blocks to the grocers, refusing to make odd phone calls on my mobile. Hands and mind free.

Rarely do I see a person who is ok with being alone in public. Everyone is listening to music on their headphones or talking into a mobile phone. I guess it's so vulnerable these days.

Usually when I'm alone I think of all the people I could bump into, people who inhabit pain and frustration, and today I realised that my list has really diminished. I can't think of anyone I would avoid seeing in the street.

Nevertheless, I'm finding it hard to get to sleep again. Earlier in the week Luc and I had an argument in bed and I was so worked up and alert afterwards that I stayed awake the whole night, reading a book and staring out onto the water outside our windows. I ended up jogging at 6am and falling asleep a few hours later on the sofa, waking to Luc and Hugo chatting while walking up the stairs.
posted by kazumi at 12:39 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment