The Contingency Plan

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Kazumped

While chatting to our solicitor this week, she made a comment about how level-headed I was about buying our house. She'd come across many frantic buyers, some who had even wept when they lost the opportunity to buy their dream home.

"Ha! No, that's not me," I explained.

"There are so many houses around and although I love the house we're buying, I'm trying not to become too attached until the papers are signed."

"Well I'm nearly done so let's set a date next week for you and Luc to sign the dotted line," she said.

I'd already planned the changes we wanted to do. New carpets upstairs, polish and varnish (black) the old floor boards underneath the carpets downstairs, white wash the walls (which would look fantastic with the high ceilings) and install a seamless glass pool fence. All the quotes were in, we were ready to roll.h

But I received a phone call yesterday from the estate agent with bad news.

"Someone who saw the house just before you has called in with a higher offer and the owners have accepted it," he said.

I was shocked.

"How can this happen?" I asked. We were set to sign the contract on Monday and you know that I couldn't have done this any sooner!"

After a few heated discussions, I found out that our competitor had bid 14 grand higher than us. We'd have to raise our offer by 15 grand to match his price or loose the house. We've already paid for all of the final inspections (building survey, pest, etc.), and for our solicitor's time.

Luc and I could theoretically match his price but it would cause us some financial stress and I don't think we're willing to do that for a house. We're so disappointed. I know this can typically happen when buying a house, but the owners had already taken the house off the market and we were of the understanding that they weren't talking to anyone else. We wouldn't acted differently if we knew otherwise and would still have this damn house.

I have been devastated since the news. I actually cried yesterday afternoon. I feel so silly but I'm truly heartbroken and feel like I've broken up with a dream of how our lives would be. Although I was playing it cool, in my mind I had already claimed that place as our own. And I thought it was safe to dream all that I did because things were apparently secure.

I must admit that I've been kinda obsessed since this has happened. I've spent hours looking online for more properties. We have two house inspections tomorrow but secretly hope things fall through and we may be able to buy our place afterall.

I spoke to Chloe and Alannah last night and they've both experienced this very thing 3-4 times before finding their home. I remember Jack and Kian also speaking of their negative experiences. No wonder our solicitor has so many anxious clients. This house-buying business is exhausting.
posted by kazumi at 1:01 pm

1 Comments:

What a crock! That sucks. I hope it ends up working for you with either a better house coming up or you managing to still get this one. Good luck!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 pm  

Add a comment