The Contingency Plan

Thursday, April 26, 2007

There's no 'mum' in 'team'

Two weeks ago I went to work from Chloe's house. It was a Thursday, which meant that her beautiful little boy wasn't in day care so I brought Susi and Hugo with me. Susi was going to look after the boys and we were going to (try and) get as much work done as possible.

Our crew arrived, armed with Hugo's potty, snacks, drinks and extra toys (as other people's toys are always better than your own). We said hello to Nic, our new bookkeeper and her gorgeous five month old daughter, hi-fived our new Account Coordinator Monique and her cute 18-month old son, Ali arrived soon after with her divine two year old (who joined our boys in the back playing with trucks and trains) and we conferenced in a former colleague, Kate, to discuss a new business proposal while her eleven month old had her afternoon nap.

Some of our clients have no idea that our whole team currently consists of mothers (we don't hide it, it just doesn't come up). This hasn't been a conscious decision either. It's just the way things have turned out.

While chatting with our team on different occassions I've noticed that:
In 2004, the Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello made the memorable statement of: "If you can have children, you should have one for your husband and one for your wife and one for the country."

Yet this country doesn't really support mothers in the workforce, especially when it comes to basics like materity leave and child care. I recently spoke to a friend who was leaving full time work as a journalist to freelance from home as his wage literally paid for the child care bills.

And then there's the common mis-conception that, as a woman, your life (and career) is over once you have children. This used to annoy me to no-end when I was pregnant. Why should my life be over? If I want my life to be great after giving birth, then I will do everything in my power to make it so.

I understand the culture of traditional organisations doesn't cater to the modern 'stay-at-home career woman' yet I just don't understand why this is so. I know it takes trust, flexibility and imagination to make it work, but it's surely worth it as the current situation wastes so much talent, brains, skill and expertise.

In response to this, most of my girlfriends are becoming freelancers, commanding an hourly rate and in control of the jobs they take on and the hours they work. And it means we're attracting all these brilliant people to work with. We're pretty determined to make it work, not only to prove that we can, but also because we desperately want the best of both worlds - career AND motherhood.

I love days when all the kids are in the office. Sure they're a little more chaotic and we don't get as much 'solid' work done, but I love being able to hold Nic's young bella while brainstorming a campaign idea, playing ball with the boys inbetween tasks, comforting one child while his mother is on the phone and being able to share lunch all together. Life feels full on those days and intrinsically good.

I hope that despite the traditional workplace, more and more career-minded mums will band together like us to create a working arrangement that can tick all the boxes. And I hope we all become damn successful too.
posted by kazumi at 11:50 pm

5 Comments:

Sounds like you have a fantastic group. You should write a book.

The situation is much the same in the States as far as working mothers. A very select group of high-ranking corporations has figured out that flexibility for mothers generates incredibly loyal employees, but the concept hasn't spread.
Blogger junebee, at 2:17 am  
Wow. Your working team sounds amazing! I'd love to find that sort of situation when I re-enter the workforce. It's nice to know it is actually out there.

I agree with Junebee; you should write a book. Just this post was inspirational!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 am  
It's great to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks we have it good :)

A book is a very intruging concept... so happy to hear this was inspirational.
Blogger kazumi, at 8:01 pm  
Oooo-may I use this in class next week? As we discuss women and work?
Blogger SquirrleyMojo, at 12:24 pm  
Certainly, go for it!! Email me if you want any further info, etc. I'm happy to be of help :)
Blogger kazumi, at 6:00 pm  

Add a comment