The Contingency Plan

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just for Bente

One of my favourite things to do each evening, is to take off my shoes and venture into the garden. There's something magical about feeling the earth under my feet and between my toes - warm, fresh and alive. I know it sounds horribly literal, but I feel like it keeps me grounded. It reminds me that no matter what I've dealt with during the day, the universe is so much bigger than all of my stress.

Nearly all of my friends and family were shocked when I first started gardening. I took two weeks off work in November (first break of 2008, such a mistake to leave it so long) and there was something quite cathartic about all of that physical activity. I dug deep into each vegetable patch, sifted out the rocks and weeds, mixed in compost and plant food, plotted out where all the seedlings would go and then planted them in. It was hard work. And did most of it in a bikini so I got a tan to boot!

I initially created the garden for Hugo. He still doesn't like eating any green vegetables and I wanted him to learn that food doesn't just come from the supermarket - we can actually grow it too.

And although Hugo still doesn't eat green, selfishly doesn't like weeding and none of my vegetables have appeared yet (I guess it's only been two months), I can't tell you how good it feels to pick the lettuce, rocket, spinach and herbs I need for salads and for cooking. The favours are more intense, I waste less and as a result, spend less time cleaning forgotten, soggy bits of green out of my fridge.

I feel really lucky to have the space to have this garden.
posted by kazumi at 11:34 pm

4 Comments:

Aw, shucks. Great post and I bet before long Hugo will be up for some greens. We had a veggie garden at our last house (not anything like what it sounds as though you have) and it all got E so excited about the food she helped grow. Now she still didn't eat a lot of it, but it was a start!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 am  
Thanks Bente! The garden is in dire need of some weeding, but the weather has been waaay too unbearable for any outdoor activity besides swimming... Hugo's still adverse to anything green, let's hope he starts eating them soon... sigh.
Blogger kazumi, at 11:17 am  
Very Nice And Impressive Post, Without Arrears Things Could Work Out This Way For Me. Thanks Once More For A Successful Search And Redirection Here. Very Nice Post And Well Optimized..


I Present You

Latest Nigerian Mp3 Music & Songs Download


Latest Nigerian Mp3 Music & Songs Instrumentals / Free Beat Download


Latest Nigerian Mp3 Music & Songs Video Download


Latest Nollywood & Bollywood Videos Download

Gists, Giveaways Are Present On Naijatopmost
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 pm  
Hey thecontingencyplan, This site is good because they give us a new thing and new ideas and new topic how good all of they are we should appreciate them because of these good thing.I know something nformation, Ultra Tec Water treatment company in UAE is one of the largest distributors of products in the UAE. Our customer service team is always ready to help you find the best filter for you.
Blogger Sara Khan, at 10:43 pm  

Add a comment