The Contingency Plan

Sunday, May 08, 2005

A weekend of firsts

It's Sunday night and our little family is still in pyjamas. We've gone out but it seems as soon as we enter the front door, the dress code is PJs. We haven't cooked. We've watched the entire third and fourth series of Sex and the City. We've then watched Hugo roll and pick up objects that were formerly too heavy. It's been perfect.

We've had such a great weekend.

For the first time in nearly six months Luc and I went on a date... without the baby. Mum came over early on Saturday morning, giddy at the prospect of spending so much time with her grandson, and promply kicked us out of the house, not to come home until much later that day. It was the first day I've spent without him since he's been born.

So Luc and I saw a movie (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), we talked, we walked around the city, had dinner, spent around an hour browsing a book store. It was delicious. We really enjoyed our time, though next time we agreed to organise a night time date, that way we can really do the things we can't with Hugo, like eat in one of the small, crowded inner city restaurants that a pram can't fit into and see a band. Nevertheless, we came home feeling refreshed and eager to see our son.

That night Mum, Harry and Natasha came over for dinner. Recently tired of everyone always being too busy, I suggested we have 'family night' on the first Saturday of each month and the idea was eager accepted. That night was our first one.

I'm hoping to inspire some change in our family through these. My brother and sister are used to just turning up to things and never really making an effort so we agreed to treat the nights as special time out, we'd take turns in organising something and give plenty of warning in case the date didn't work out. Parents were invited, but since Natasha's the only one Dad speaks to, we guessed he wouldn't come. Activities also had to include things we could involve or take Hugo to, so naturally Tash suggested ice stating...

It was Harry's turn last night (we went in alphabetical order) so in true form he got the date wrong, Mum cooked, he showed up late, made a long private call to his un-girlfriend and practically fell asleep after dinner on the couch. But hey, we were all there and that's what counts.

I'm due to organise the next one and since my last suggestion has been made public (bowling), I want to think of something else.

And on the subject of firsts.... It was also my first Mother's Day today. It freaks me out to think I didn't know I was going to be a mum this time last year.

The day was just right. I woke up battling a cold so Luc took good care of Hugo, though he napped with me. He takes longer naps when they're with me and this time before and after sleeping he played with my hair, touched my face and made the most adorable baby sounds. He also held onto me while he slept so I was in heaven.

I didn't want any gifts as I was so spoilt on my birthday so Luc bought me a card and two boxes of mouth watering, 'they look too good to eat' chocolates. Luc and I have just finished eating one of them and Hugo's now going crazy with the box.

Perfect.
posted by kazumi at 8:28 pm

2 Comments:

perfect is just the word.

how did you grow up so perfectly? what were the social factors? economic? psychological? even biological??

LoL. I need to know so I can replicate them in the future . . .

SQMojo
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 am  
Very funny SQ!

I'm SOOOOOOO not perfect.

;)
Blogger kazumi, at 11:34 am  

Add a comment