The Contingency Plan

Friday, June 16, 2006

Dad, death and alliances

Dad called a couple weeks ago.

Yes, wow.

But it wasn't because of our recent encounter. No, it took a friend on the verge of bankruptcy and some very bad PR to do the trick.

I was surprised when I answered the call and heard his fumbling words. He mentioned some names, said someone had died in a workplace construction accident, two others had been seriously injured on two different occassions, the media caught onto the story, facts were apparently misconstrued and Dad had assured the guy of my help... 'the guy' being the man who owned the company, the one being blamed for the accidents, investigated by the unions and hounded by the press.

Okay...

After providing a lengthy explanation on why I couldn't help, he lied about 'just' receiving my messages, said he had 'blasted' Elizabeth for her actions, claimed he was too clumsy in these situations and expected that to do the trick.

I made sure I told him how disappointed I was because of his actions and how they made me feel. He said he was going to make Elizabeth write me a letter of apology, but I know I'll never get the note. It's bullshit, but I said for good measure that she wasn't welcome again to our house.

So a couple of weeks have passed and I received a call from Dad yesterday asking to speak to Luc. Luc and Dad get along really well because they both love cars and similar sports so that's all they talk about. Dad and I however, have next to nothing in common.

Luc and I were on the way out at the time and Dad mentioned he had apparently arranged for Luc to fix the computer of one of his 'friends'. I was instantly sceptical and found out the 'friend' was Elizabeth, so I buntly said that weren't going to help. The cheeky bastard knew that Elizabeth coming over was a bad idea so he wanted to drop off her computer so Luc could fix it and then take it home to her.

Hello?!?!?!?

So I called him back and told him not to bother coming over if that's the only reason why. His answer was that he also wanted to hang out with Luc. Not me or Hugo, Luc.

My father has no fucking clue about anything. My rage is slowing turning into bitter pity. And don't get me started on the argument Luc and I had about him sticking up for me in these situations... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
posted by kazumi at 2:39 pm

5 Comments:

Geez, how frustrating! Sounds like you're handling everything as best as could possibly be done, though.
Blogger Bente, at 3:47 pm  
you have more patience that i would, for sure.
Blogger michelle, at 2:23 am  
Patience is a virtue...
Blogger j, at 2:33 am  
I think you are right about your attitude toward Elizabeth. Your father owes you several apologies, least of all for "volunteering" you for a "PR" project you didn't want, then for trying to sneak around to get Elizabeth's computer fixed. Sounds like the "guy" needs a lawyer more so than a PR agent. At least he would in the U.S.

Your dad needs to stop playing off of Luc. Your dad could at least feign interest in Hugo. Hugo is his grandson, for cryin' in a bucket.

Sheesh. I don't blame you for being angry and/or bitter.
Blogger junebee, at 10:09 am  
Thanks Bente :)

Michelle, Luc often says he would've cut Dad off by now. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I have patience or simply can't let go. And sometimes I can't be bothered analysing it.

Thanks Jairam, I think :) I'd like to think I'm doing the best thing for the relationship but who knows??

Junebee, that's the exact advice I gave Dad's friend - find a lawyer before you search for a PR agent, at least get the basics sorted!

Sometimes I feel bad for Hugo as both of his grandfathers are so clueless, but think at least his own father makes a big effort.
Blogger kazumi, at 12:33 pm  

Add a comment