The Contingency Plan

Monday, July 17, 2006

There's so much I want to blog about lately but my mind has been so scattered with work, Hugo, changing au-pairs, family issues and my own health. And then there are contemplations about God and religion, my self esteem, friendships, things with Lucas, parenting, fashion and music... on and on and on.

The past week or so has been consumed by a high profile account I'm just dying to discuss but cannot. The work is challenging and different to my usual realm of corporate publicity as it involves a serious human rights issue.

I've been swept up with the intensity and urgency of it all and entertained at how it sits with my other projects. For instance there have been days where I've met with beauty journalists to discuss the makeup products in the morning or have gone to a fashion launch in the afternoon and have then met with high end lawyers, film makers and authors at night to strategise and plan next steps for this other account. It's so out of my league and at times it feels so random, even though I'm enjoying the ying and yang and our encouraging progress to date.

And beyond bolstering my confidence, I've been moved to read more, research and shove former laziness aside to form an opinion on things. Or at least have some idea of what everyone's talking about ;)

... So today's Rachael's last day with us. The past week has been enveloped with a silent sadness as our enjoyable time has come to an end so quickly. We drop her off at the bus station tonight and she'll travel to Byron Bay, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Ayers Rock, Adelaide (huh? why?), Melbourne and then Sydney again before returning home to Germany. She'll naturally come back to stay with us when in Sydney to pick up some luggage we've agreed to hold and to relax, shower, have a good meal and rest up before the big trip home. I think it'll provide a nice sense of closure.

The poor thing has been madly dieting lately. I formerly joked about encouraging Rachael to eat, but she's enjoyed my cooking so much that she's gained over 10kgs over the six months with us. Oops. We've tried to help but unfortuately her mother's 'dietary advice' is to eat as much potatos, pasta and rice as possible to 'soak up' fluid retention. Okay......

Not ones to sentimentally dwell over things, Luc and I are already interviewing another au-pair tomorrow afternoon. I'm quite excited at the newness of it all but a little disheartened at all the training I'll have to conduct. Ah well. New slate, right?

Even though things are moving quickly, I don't want to rush as it'll be nice to have some family time with just the three of us. It's a battle as I'm having day-surgery on Friday and Luc starts a new job the following Monday so the help will be needed. Thankfully my mother is staying over for a few days. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to finish off this post so I'll leave you all with a picture of 20 month old Hugo. Uh-huh. He'll be two in just four months time.

Crikey.
posted by kazumi at 12:38 pm

4 Comments:

I'm so curious about who the high profile account is with, but totally understand why you can't talk about it.

Good luck with the au-pair interview and the surgery. I'm so glad you were able to re-schedule so quickly (at least it seems quick to me).

And look at Hugo! What a handsome little man you've got!
Blogger Bente, at 12:13 am  
Oh what an adorable picture! I envy the excitement of your work - I start teaching at the end of August...and look, I'm already kinda dreading it. [shakes head at self]
Blogger Adriana Bliss, at 2:47 am  
So will I read about this human rights issue group on SMH?

Great picture, Hugo is getting so big.
Blogger junebee, at 10:34 am  
Hm. You can definitely read about it in the news, though the hype is dying down a little now. I admit to enjoying every controversy-filled minute!

I think the excitement largely comes from hopefully challenging people about their attitudes and beliefs - something I'm sure you do on a daily basis at work Adriana!!

And yes, Hugo is getting to be so big now. It consistently spins me out [also shakes head].
Blogger kazumi, at 4:57 pm  

Add a comment